CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hair Rehab: Let's Take Shots!

Photobucket

No...not these kind of shots! Although they might make you forget about the damage to your hair for a while, they won't help you fix it.

Recently a friend of mine asked for my recommendation for a product that would restore her hair's condition. Her hair has been chemically treated and she is seeing the damaging effects it can have. Being a licensed cosmetologist herself, she knows how important it is use products that help restore the hair's condition and repair the damage.

Being the lover of Redken products that I am, I already use most of the products in their line. However, one product that I have been anxious to try is the Redken Chemistry line. This is an exclusive, professional in-salon service. Redken Chemistry is a deep conditioning treatment great for distressed hair. Distressed hair is weakend hair that has been physically changed in some way. There are two key types of hair distress:

•CHEMICAL DISTRESS: caused by overuse of chemical services such as haircolor, lightening, perming or straightening

•MECHANICAL DISTRESS: caused by normal wear and tear from blow-drying, curling and flat irons, and every day brushing

Redken Chemistry offers six “shots” that can be blended for truly personalized solutions:

•Extreme Shot Phase for distressed hair
•Color Extend Shot Phase for color-treated hair
•Clear Moisture Shot Phase for normal/dry hair
•All Soft Shot Phase for dry/brittle hair
•Smooth Down Shot Phasee for very dry/unruly hair
•Real Control Shot Phase for dense/dry/sensitized hair

For Jana's hair which is chemically distressed, I recommended Color Extend Shot Phase for color-treated hair.
Photobucket
This is applied to clean towel dried hair and left on for 3-5 minutes. Without rinsing the product from the hair the next step is to apply the Redken Chemistry Shot Phix. There are 2 different Shot Phix formulas. Again I recommend the formula for chemical distress.
Photobucket
Shot Phix is sprayed directly over the Shot Phase to lock in the treatment. Once the Shot Phix is applied the hair is then rinsed. If extra conditioning is required Color Extend Rich Recovery can be used or a similar product prescribed for your hair type.

To find a Redken salon that offers the Redken Chemistry system go to the Redken Salon Locator. While the Redken Chemistry system is an in-salon only treatment, your stylist can also recommend a product for at home maintenance. Remember that maintaining healthy hair is the key to beautiful looking hair.

5 comments:

ThingsToDoWithKids said...

Thank you for the recomendation Jen. I have used this product twice now and I am seeing a noticible difference. One thing I can say though is to make sure you rinse it really good from your hair. This last time I was in a hurry and didn't rinse good enough and my hair was very heavy the next day. But other then that I am lovin it.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I didn't even realize you have a blog! Congrats to you for starting one =)

I have ben bleaching my hair for years and it can def get dry; although right now I am dealing with buildup for some reason. I am using a combo of shampoo with molases (not sure which brand) in it and Biolage conditioner to restore moisture. My first time using both products and they seem to be working =)

ThingsToDoWithKids said...

hey, I just tagged you in a blog. Check it out for more details.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice. How often would you recommend having the Chem Shot done. Is once a week overkill?
Thanks again!

Jen McD said...

Depending on the condition of your hair, your stylist should be able to recommend how often you should recieve this service. I personaly would not use it more often than once a week because it is possible to over condition and too much protein in the hair can cause it to feel "dry" or hard"