CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back-2-School

Photobucket

I recently decided that I wanted to take my career as a hairstylist to a new level. I love working with clients in the salon, but the schedule of a hairstylist has been difficult for me while I am raising my 2 children. I never knew when my schedule would change and it made arranging child care difficult. Because I have such a passion for the industry, teaching was something that was always in the back of my mind. As a teacher I would have a set schedule and many other benefits that a lot of salons do not offer while still working doing something I love.

Only a few weeks ago I made a phone call to Marinello Schools of Beauty that would be the first step to this exciting journey. After meeting with the school's admissions advisor she explained the teacher training program to me and went over all the details. She asked me if there were any obsticles I could see holding me back from enrolling in the program and the only thing I could think of was $! She explained to me that I could qualify for financial aid which would make this program affordable. I was shocked to find out just how much of my tuition would be covered. After talking it over with my husband we agreed that it was something we could do.

The next step was to take my entrance exams. This consisted of a reading and math test. Reading and math? But, I want to be a cosmetology teacher, not a math teacher! I was worried going in because math is not one of my strong subjects. After about 45 minutes I finished both exams and waited to recieve my scores. 100% on the reading and 88% on the math (which she said was the highest score she has seen so far!)With that behind me I was even more excited to get started.

I am very happy to say that today I officially enrolled in the teacher training program which will consist of 20 hours a week for a total of 600 hours. My estimated graduation date is October 13, 2010. It seems like a long time away now and will be a huge sacrifice with a schedule of 5:30pm-10:30 pm, so that the kids can stay home with daddy while I'm at school, but it will all pay off in the end. As I go along on this journey I will post updates so check back to see my progress!

4 comments:

Becky H said...

Wow, Jen, I am so excited for you and this new endeavor. You will make an EXCELLENT instructor. We are behind you 100%!! (Love this blog of yours, too.)

Jen McD said...

Thank you Aunt Becky. I am very excited and so appreciate the support. Thanks for following my blog. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

ThingsToDoWithKids said...

Yay, I am so happy that you are doing this. I can't wait until Oct 13th.

Jen McD said...

Me too Jana. It's gonna be a long 7 months! And a LOT of Starbucks :)